Medical Office Assistant
The following are examples of job functions for a Medical Office Assistant that demand some level of proficiency with digital tools, devices, and systems:
- Maintaining medical records for patients
- Scheduling patients for appointments, follow-ups, and rescheduling when appropriate
- Sharing information gathered from patients with appropriate team members
- Checking inventory of medical supplies and materials
- Completing payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc.
- Preparing communication reports, statements, forms, applications, etc.
- Maintaining client and staff confidentiality
Examples of Digital Tools, Devices and Systems for Medical Office Assistant
- Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Cloud storage, backup devices, and other data handling software
- Internet search, data handling, and processing. For example, to locate health-related information within specific databases or on medical websites, to access training courses and seminars offered by suppliers, employers, and trainers
- Health Care Management systems including specialised health care administration and/or patient management databases to record client details such as names, treatment, health records, etc.
- Scheduling software such as Procura (integrated software that offers functionalities of hospital scheduling, patient billing system, document integration system, and analytics tool)
- Medical billing software including systems for transactions/payments, data validation, and verification
- Sector-specific software such as quality and risk management tools to track scheduling and delivery of health services
- Transcription software
- Communication software such as Microsoft Outlook/Gmail to exchange email and attachments with other members of the health care team and video calling software such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc. for online consulting
- Policies and procedures for data safety and data privacy
- Common office devices including printers, fax, copier, etc.